8 ball pool is the most widely played pool game in the world. The game is so popular that the term pool has become synonymous with Eight-ball. Online 8 ball pool is played on a virtual pool table with six pockets. It is played with one white cue ball and 15 object balls consisting of seven solid-colored balls (1-7), one black 8 ball and seven stripped balls (9-15). The goal of the game is to legally sink the 8 ball in the designated pocket of the player or the team. Let’s dig deeper and learn rules and tricks of the game!
Elementary Rules of 8 ball pool game
Rules of the game may vary depending on the variation of the game you’re playing. But American rules are considered standard:
- A game of 8 ball pool requires two players or two teams.
- Before the game begins, the object balls are stacked in a triangle parallel to the foot rail (short end of the pool table).
- The first shot of the game is called break shot where a player uses the cue to shoot the white cue ball to scatter the object balls.
- The ball group (solids or stripes) that is pocketed in the first non-break shot is assigned to the player (or team) who made the pocket, while the opposite group of object balls is assigned to the opponent.
- Players are supposed to shoot all their assigned balls to pocket so that they have the first chance to pocket the 8 ball.
- The game alternates between the players unless a player legally pocket the legal object ball or if any ball hits the cushion after striking the legal object ball. In that case, the player gets an extra turn.
- The player can only sink the 8 ball in the pocket designated by him.
- The player wins the game if he legally pockets the 8 ball or if the opponent fouls with the 8 ball.
Tips to Win Online 8 ball pool
Know the Rules of the game
This is a no brainer but important to mention. If not a single ball touches the cushion after the cue ball hits a legal object ball, it’s foul. If the cue ball sinks in the pocket or thrown off the table, it’s foul. If you pocket the 8 ball (except in the case of break shot) before clearing your object balls or shoot it off the pool table, your opponent wins the game. Once you’re familiar with all the foul shots of the game, do everything to avoid it. Every shot is important and a poorly played shot gives the opponent advantage over you.
Use the Spin Effectively
Manipulating the cue ball is the most decisive skill for playing 8 ball pool and to do that, you need spin. Spins are of three types- Topspin, Backspin and Sidespin. Topspin is generated by hitting the cue ball above its center. With topspin, the cue ball moves in the same direction as that of the target ball. On the other hand, backspin is generated by hitting the cue ball below its center. Depending on the force of the backspin, the ball will either stop on hitting the object ball or will move backwards. This prevents the cue ball from sinking in the pocket when shooting an object ball too close to the pocket.
Sidespin is slightly difficult to crack but with a little practice, you can master this spin technique. A right-hand spin will make the cue ball move rightwards after hitting the object ball or cushion. The left-hand spin does the opposite. You can adjust the angle of spin by the amount of force applied to the ball. Faster cue ball will deflect at larger angles.
Use better Cues
Your cue decides the amount of force, effectiveness of the spin and length of aim you can achieve while taking the shot. Use your coins to upgrade your cue. A good cue gives better control over your shot by offering you more time to calibrate the shot. A force cue will work better for long shots or for the break shot. Choose your cues tactically depending on the shots you play.
Practice and Familiarize yourself
8 ball pool is a game of skill and like any other game of skill, it requires regular practice. With enough practice, you’ll pick up the precise amount of force/spin you’ll need for the shot and you’ll learn to anticipate the movement of the balls beforehand. Once you gain these skills, you’ll intuitively know the right shots to play and with time, you’d have better control over the game. So, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
Twist future is Mobile Game development company. We have developed multiplayer mobile games as well as multiplayer web browser games including Multiplayer 8 Ball Pool and Multiplayer Cricket. Learn more about Multiplayer Game Development here. Contact us to develop mobile game of your choice with Twistfuture.